Header Image for Clifton (without) Parish Council


Safer Neighbourhood Policing in your area. 

Details of the local PCSO's can be found below. Please do not hesitate to contact a member of your local team should you have any questions or would like any advice:

PCSO 5611 Cartwright, PCSO 5571 Pitchford and PCSO 5987 Stannard, the Sergeant will be 1379 Daniel Leach.

To speak to any of the above officers please call 101 and ask to be put through to the relevant collar number.

Below are a few frequently asked questions and the answers to them.
We hope this information will assist residents in obtaining the information they need.

What do my local Safer Neighbourhood police team do?

Your local team have a range of responsibilities. These include work in schools, monitoring of repeat offenders, crime prevention work, search warrants in your area, domestic violence work and general patrol.

Your local team are designed to look at long term problems within your area. They are focused on working on local community priorities as well as police objectives and are actively engaged with other partners such as the council, social services and probation/youth offending teams. 

When do they work and at what times?

Safer Neighbourhood teams in the main work 6 days on and then 3 days off.

The team ordinarily works between the hours of 8am and 12 midnight on varied shifts within that time scale. At times the team does work beyond these times but this depends upon operational needs. By the nature of our work i.e. multi agency, we work these hours to be accessible to our partners and to be on duty during peak hours .

Does this mean my area is not policed the rest of the time?

NO. Policing in York is a 24 hr Operation. This means that there are police officers available 24hrs a day. When your police team are not at work response police officers cover the area as do the other units such as road policing, armed response unit and neighbourhood support teams.

My child has come home with a yellow encounter slip. Is my child in trouble?

An encounter form is a form that the police have an obligation to fill out if they speak to your child (or any person) in relation to a matter. This may be as simple as coming across your child in a hot spot area and asking them to explain their presence. The issuing of the form does not mean the police believe your child is involved in crime or is in trouble. Your child will receive a copy of the form to show where they were stopped what time and by whom. If the police do encounter your child and believe there is an issue we will either send you a letter explaining our  concerns with an invite to speak to us in person, or we will come directly to your home address.

How do I report a crime?

By calling 0845 60 60 247 .

What if its an emergency?

Call 999

What number do I call just to provide information?

You can still call 0845 60 60 247 and state you just wish to leave information. Alternatively, you can email the team on yorknpt@northyorkshire.pnn.police.uk

You can also provide anonymous information to crime stoppers on: 0800 555 111

How else can I speak to my local team?

Your local team hold a number of drop in sessions across your area called police surgeries. They are advertised on local notice boards.

There is parking on double yellow lines on my area who do I tell?

In relation to double yellow lines this is now dealt with by the council and you should call the parking hotline on 0800 138 1119.

For unnecessary or wilful obstruction however both the police constables and community support officers have the powers to deal with this. For these offences notify the police using the 0845 number. 

What do I do if I see someone sleeping rough?

The Early Intervention & Protection Team within the Salvation Army carry out city wide checks on people sleeping rough or in tents. The Parish often come across such incidents on Clifton Ings and Rawcliffe Meadows. If you come across anyone in this situation please do not approach the person or persons directly. Instead, please call 01904 630470 and ask to speak to a member of the early intervention and protection team.

Where do I find information on the laws surrounding garden fires and bonfires?

Please see the following leaflet on bonfires produced by the City of York Council:-